Position Title: Creative Services Director
Location: Southwark, SE1
Reports to: Executive Creative Director
Date: February 2019
George P. Johnson is an independent, creatively driven full service experience marketing agency. For over a century we’ve been partnering with the world’s top brands to deliver creative solutions that make a real difference. Our ideas create impact, inspire audiences and grow business. We work with brands such as; Nike, Cisco, Workday, Google and Lotus.
George P. Johnson are seeking a Creative Services Director to be responsible for the workflow, resource planning, hiring, and talent management of the creative department and creative services team. They will also ensure that the correct resource and creative processes are in place to deliver the work on time and on budget.
About the Role
Creative processes & resources
• Overall management of the creative department to allocate projects and monitor workflow to ensure optimum use of time and resources. Knowledge and maintenance of creative needs within the agency.
• In conjunction with CD/ECD, analyse briefs including budgetary, timing and design constraints and plan response, including use of outside suppliers where necessary.
• Ensure briefs are supplied in advance of briefing, check content, budgets and deadlines and ensure the CD, Snr Account Director or Account Director agrees with the required actions.
• Overall responsibility for the resourcing of all Creative and Design. Ensuring that resource is booked appropriately & that time is managed efficiently.
• Identifying the need for freelancers & working closely with ECD, CD’s and Creative Leads to find suitable candidates.
• Review and track all freelance costs to ensure profitability and targets are met for the Creative Department.
• Proactively identifying resource constraints and problems, working to find solutions as required
• Working closely with the ECD and CD to assign talent to projects and ensure that any potential problems are mitigated.
• Ensure GPJ Norway are up to date on ways of working and included in any creative process, planning or creative product discussion that has a direct impact on them and their clients.
• Provide additional support when possible to GPJ Norway whose geographical location means that additional support and proactive thinking is often required..
• Clear, open sharing of any changes to the schedule with individuals and groups to ensure workflow is never stagnant and resource is always organized.
• Managing holiday requests to ensure there are no clashes that will affect agency business requirements.
• Run weekly meetings with account teams to discuss their resource requirements, status and pipeline projects.
• Acting as gatekeeper to the Creative Department and ensuring that agency processes are adhered to and followed at all times.
• Provides support to the ECD in order to elevate the creative culture within the department
• Managing the Design Studio to operate as profitable entity, responsibility for finances, quality control, scheduling,
• Managing information technology to enable access, distribution and archive of creative assets and production information for clients and the agency.
• Whilst the ECD will lead, CSD to provide support on - Setting department objectives, monitoring performance and guiding them to achieve a balance of quality, creativity and financial responsibility.
• Ensuring all new creative employees are successfully on boarded in to the agency (however, Line Managers to organise)
• Increasing agency profitability by encouraging better working practices and identifying additional sources of revenue through internal or joint-venture opportunities (e.g. outsourcing).
• Assist with all New Business, Tender and Pitch projects where required, mainly from a resourcing and creative workflow perspective
• Review and track all freelance costs to ensure profitability and targets are met for the Creative Department and they are efficiently and effectively set up and on-boarded in to the agency
• Responsible for freelance administration: dealing with recruitment agents, seeking approvals, Alerting HR to new hires and facilitating the on-boarding process.
• Approving freelance invoices and timesheets.
• Responsible for managing creative IT requests and software requirements by forecasting and pre empting what will be required and engaging approvals in a timely manner to minimize disruption to creative delivery.
• 5 – 7 years agency experience in a Creative Services role within a mid- large organization
• Demonstrates a full understanding of design and production processes and uses this to elicit the most commercially effective creative response from the resources available.
• Creatively thinking with a passion for achieving the best creative solutions.
• Quick-thinking problem-solving abilities and a sharp attention to detail.
• Thinks clearly under pressure, remaining flexible and managing challenging deadlines and stressful situations with confidence.
• Strong organisational skills and administration capabilities, being able to handle multiple tasks, keeping accurate and detailed records for every project and being financially astute.
• Proactive, ideas orientated.
• Excellent skills in communicating with clients, creatives, suppliers and across all disciplines of the agency.
• Negotiation skills – able to negotiate the best rates with freelancers and suppliers without compromising on quality
• Confident and effective interviewer – able to identify, interview and attract top talent in our industry
• Ability to motivate a team
• Ability to have courageous conversations – conduct ‘difficult conversations’ in a professional and positive manner
• Commercially minded
• Provides constructive feedback to improve creative process and output
• Able to work across different offices and successfully co-ordinate resource planning across multiple client/agency models
• Collaborative - A desire to collaborate in order to insure department delivers the best creative output
• Assertive and informative, whilst having a personable nature
• The ability to establish and maintain effective relationships across the organisation and clients
• Emotional intelligence – demonstrates self-awareness, and empathy – Timings and budgets change – flexibility and empathy is key.
• Collaborative with partners to create new ideas and ways of working
• Solution focused and problem solver
• ‘Hands on ‘ style of supporting the department
Company benefits include:
• 25 days holiday each year
• GPJ Birthday Day – a day off to celebrate your birthday
• Contributory pension scheme
• Life assurance
• Season ticket loan
• Comprehensive healthcare insurance
• Healthy nutrition - fresh fruit in the office