George P. Johnson is an independent, creatively driven full-service experience marketing agency. For over a century we’ve been partnering with the world’s top brands to deliver creative solutions that make a real difference. Our ideas create impact, inspire audiences and grow business.
Today, we still answer to no one but ourselves. Our business is our business. And that means we focus on what we do best - and how best to do it. It’s an independence that gives us the freedom to be totally transparent. A liberation that keeps us flexible, practical and positively realistic.
Our clear strategic thinking and perceptive creative, breathes life into brands. It’s what turns our goals – and those of our clients, into results. We’re happy working wherever the brief takes us. At home or abroad. On the huge or the hugely important. Our scalability enables us to answer briefs of all shapes and sizes - effectively and efficiently.
And the next 100 years? We’ve a lot planned. And big ambitions to address. Starting today. We’re a hungry agency - more committed and driven than ever. We’ll continue to evolve. To grow. And to search for new disciplines and channels that match the aspirations and vision of our clients. Those we already work with, and those we’ve yet to meet.
One thing’s certain. We won’t stand still. We never have. If we had, we wouldn’t have come this far.
- The EMEA Client Lead’s primary focus is to generate solutions to our clients’ most pressing business and brand objectives through effective management of GPJ’s resources and solutions
- The EMEA Client Lead is responsible for the nurturing, retention, and growth of the account. This includes identifying proactive opportunities and delivery of account plans.
- The EMEA Client Lead is expected to provide the client with a consultancy service, offering expert knowledge of how the client’s objectives can be realised through the event and brand experience medium. This might require challenging the client’s brief, proactive solutions, competitor analysis and Global industry knowledge
- Financially, the EMEA Client Lead is ultimately responsible for the financial health of the account
- EMEA Client Lead is responsible for the writing of creative concept briefs with input from Planning dept (and creative when appropriate) and is informed on design briefs
- Work closely with the Global Account Lead (and Global team) in the US to establish a strong and collaborative partnership based on mutual respect, effective knowledge sharing and shared objectives.
- Accountable for delivering the account’s specific annual revenue and profit goals through regular tracking of all departments pre-agreed budgets/head hours and costs by project
- Develop An account plan to document opportunities within client relationships and define strategies and tactics for realizing them. Uses intellectual curiosity and tenacity to find new solutions to real business issues
- Demonstrate account accountability by delivering measurable results and solutions
- Leverage GPJ resources and best practices to deliver fully integrated marketing services – e.g. digital, creative
- Collect and disseminate market and competitive intelligence on an on-going basis.
- Accountable for client comms – including review of timings, deliverables, scope of work, action points, contact reports, competitor reviews, training (e.g. brief training)
BUSINESS GROWTH – NEW AND ORGANIC
- Lead pitch teams to compile effective and appropriate responses to new NettApp opportunities. (On a RASCI – EMEA Client Lead is the ‘Accountable’ – provides oversight, direction and makes key strategic, executional or logistics decisions. Has the final say on the overall content of the proposal and is accountable for ensuring the successful delivery of the response to the client. They lead the pitch team that presents the work to the client).
- A sound understanding of GPJ’s service offering is essential
- Set and achieve organic growth new business targets (this will form part of the Account Plans)
- Responsible for the successful on-boarding of new clients.
- Take the lead in focusing the strategic direction of the accounts & be viewed as a trusted partner
- Responsible for the taking of the client brief, interpreting in to GPJ briefing template, coordinating creative reviews with Creative Services and creative presentation to the client. All client feedback to be directed to EMEA Client Lead and they are responsible for effectively communicating that to the right agency personnel.
- Setting of project KPIs with the client before each and every project and evaluating post project
- Manage the project teams to deliver successful projects and events. The EMEA Client Lead role is to communicate client objectives, KPIs and budgets clearly to internal teams
- The EMEA Client Lead is responsible and has the final say on all elements of the project up until and including client kick off meeting, which they LEAD, they then hand over day-to-day MANAGEMENT of project to Integrated Production team. From that point on their principle role is to be accountable for the successful delivery of the project including budget, implementation and review. Measured against KPIs. They set up internal reviews, and monitoring tools to ensure they remain informed and able to communicate the progress of the project to senior clients.
- Define clear man-marking strategy prior to the commencement of each project to drive efficiencies
- Manage client expectations with regard to workload deliverables against budgets including clearly stating when a work stream is close to hitting budgeted hours.
- Forecast client account and project revenues, actively seeking out revenue enhancing opportunities.
- Ultimate responsibility for the long-term profitability of their client: negotiates fees, controls costs, maximises revenue
- Be a process champion; embrace the company’s working practices and nurture and encourage others to do so.
- Responsible for informing project team on client’s business/background to understand the business problem we are looking to solve
- Internal meetings – provide clarity on who is running the meeting, writing the notes and circulating agreed next steps
- Following client call ensure the note taker circulates notes in a feedback form
- Proactively assess and understand client needs in order to align the agencies activities and resources profitably to meet those needs
- Manage and negotiate contract, fee and billing arrangements. Ultimately responsible for the long-term profitability of the account.
- Maintain contacts with clients at the highest level (this might well be different to the day to day contact responsible for delivery of the project on the client side)
- Applies innovative thinking, develops insightful communication plans
- Proactively present ideas and opportunities to the client on a quarterly basis
- Expert knowledge of the role of events and brand experiences in a broader business context to aid the development of relationships with clients from supplier to business partner
- Demonstrate an expert knowledge on the roles of events and brand experiences against client’s business objectives/challenges
- Demonstrates an expert knowledge within client sector, industry trends and an awareness of day to day business news
- Instigate and lead quarterly (or monthly) reviews with senior clients to discuss current projects and future projects in order to understand SOW and opportunities for next 12-18 months
- Ensure notes from all client meetings and client calls are captured along with agreed action points, and circulated within 24 hours.
- EMEA Client Lead is responsible for ensuring all attendees are prepared for client presentations, an agenda has been circulated and note taker assigned
- Provide advice, support and trouble-shooting where necessary to ensure all projects are completed to the highest standards, on brief, on budget and on time
- Succession planning
Leadership – mindset and behaviours
- Straightforward: An effective communicator – Be honest, clear and constructive with your communications. It also means listening, being open-minded. (You can't display empathy or emotional intelligence if you do not listen) Leading and supporting courageous conversations.
- Accountability: Leaders must hold themselves responsible and accountable for the effect their influence has on their employees and the organisation as a whole.
- Progressive: Demonstrate a curiosity to constantly question, innovate and be open to and identify, new ways of working. Inspire your team to learn, grow and be curious.
- Inclusive: Leaders should not view themselves as the most important person. Be modest about your value. Encourage others to shine rather than looking for the light yourself.
- Demonstrate empathy, adaptability and organisational awareness.
- Confident: Challenge clients in order to get to a better result/outcome; confident in our abilities/position within the industry.
WHAT IS NOT WITHIN THE REMIT OF THE EMEA Client Lead
In order to provide further clarity to the role, we have outlined below what the EMEA Client Lead is not responsible, nor accountable for at GPJ.
EMEA Client Lead is not required to:
- Manage the project on a day to day basis – this is the responsibility of Integrated Production
- Attend design amend creative meetings – this is the responsibility of the Integrated Production team
- Attend site visits when the lead client is not attending, and when they have not attended any meetings regarding the site visit
- Attend weekly team status meetings unless Integrated Production specifically request your attendance
- Meet with suppliers
- Create the template and collation of slides for ‘pitch deck’ – this is the responsibility of the New Business team (N.B EMEA Client Lead is responsible for the ‘creation’ of their allocated slides).
- Manage and co-ordinate assigned project team’s day to day responsibilities and tasks – this is the responsibility of Integrated Production
- Prepare timelines, briefing documents, on-site schedules, management of suppliers – this is the responsibility of Integrated Production
*This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignment.