Position Title: Event Manager
Location: Southwark, SE1
Reports to: Event/Account Director
Date: October 2018
Primary job purpose:
Reporting to an Event/Account Director, the Event Manager works within the Event Services team supporting the delivery of various projects for GPJ’s client base, always to the highest standard. The role is multi-functional and very varied.
• Project Management – manage a portfolio of events or specific service areas of various sizes and complexity
• Client - attending weekly conference call/meeting with client, providing weekly update reports, acting on respective action points.
• Coordinating and managing pre-event and on-site logistics – to include
• sourcing temporary staff (if not provided by the venue) and providing security briefings; liaising with venue contact re: timings.
• Destination Management Company (DMC) management.
• Travel and accommodation - responsible for on-site crew and GPJ team’s travel logistics – including sourcing accommodation, transfers and meals.
• Food and beverage (F&B) - overseeing execution of F&B for delegates, including F&B schedules and liaising on final numbers; organising additional local F&B requirements (ie press).
• Collateral/graphics/signage management– liaising with local client manager on collateral distribution/transportation; organising ‘event bag’ logistics per venue/location, including management of local temp team.
• Venue research, both in the UK and Europe; preparing venue costings; contract negotiations.
• Process – follow processes related to the logistical items being delivered, according to company best practices
• The ideal candidate will preferably be educated to degree level, or equivalent. A qualification in event management would be advantageous, but not a pre-requisite.
• Computer literate – MS Office (strong Excel skills essential).
• Significant level of experience of working within a project team delivering events, to include medium to large scale conferences and exhibitions, ideally within Europe.
• Demonstrated organisational skills, with strong planning skills.
• Strong time management skills with ability to deal directly with short-notice deadlines and numerous, simultaneous demands.
• Strong interpersonal skills – demonstrated ability to work with client and/or sponsor, under pressure, to gain requirements and deliverables for the project.
• Strong attention to detail – as demonstrated, for example, when putting together the exhibitor manual.
• Demonstrated ability to foresee and deal with ‘worst-case scenarios’, demonstrating flexibility and taking challenges in their stride.
• Ability to maintain good humour whilst dealing with multiple changes and pressure. Attitude and being proactive are essential in the role
• Able to demonstrate self-motivation and strong work ethic.
• Fluency in additional European language(s) desirable.