Position Title: Production Manager
Location: Southwark, SE1
Reports to: Technical Director/ Senior Production Manager
Date: June 2018
Primary job purpose:
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Production Manager plays a key role in maintaining the quality of services provided by the Production team at GPJ, being ultimately responsible for all production services that are offered to clients. Focussing on the Production Management of our exhibition work across multiple clients, the successful candidate will come from either a Project Management background working for a large international stand build contractor or from a background of Production Management at a Senior Level for an agency specialising in exhibition stand build.
The ideal candidate will be passionate and enthusiastic about delivering extremely high quality productions that set a new industry standard. It is vital that our Production Managers are experts in their field with experience of delivering large shows internationally.
We are looking for someone who is confident and knowledgeable, able to quickly identify the best solution to achieve the Producer or Creative Director’s vision. An individual who will always push suppliers hard to deliver their very best, ensuring a faultless end result for our clients.
Shows will include large exhibitions where GPJ are providing complete exhibition management and build services to individual tailor-made stand builds for our client ranging from 40sqm to 2000sqm double deck builds. Other potential work will include launches and unusual experience marketing campaigns.
Although not a core part of the role, client handling skills will be a major benefit to any potential candidate. It is important that our Production Managers instil confidence with clients, are able to talk to them knowledgably and confidently about technical production issues and can portray the professional image for which GPJ are renowned. In addition we would need you to be able to establish strong relationships across the business, with fellow colleagues and external suppliers, both face-to-face, verbally and in writing.
Naturally, we would expect all applicants to be able to demonstrate strong IT skills; as a minimum MS Office (Excel skills must be particularly strong) and ideally the ability to produce CAD plans would be a real benefit. Project Management skills are paramount – being thoroughly adept at deploying appropriate resources and running multiple timelines in order to hit both internal and external deadlines. In addition to a strong familiarisation with Health & Safety best practises and regulations, we need someone with the strength of character to be able to ensure that our H&S policy is strictly adhered to on-site.
We require a strong sense of loyalty, integrity and discretion at GPJ, and all employees need to have the ability to work well under pressure, remaining meticulous and maintaining attention to detail with strong completion skills. Above all, we want someone who enjoys being a Production Manager, an enthusiast who works well in a team environment and can lead the technical team on-site. Personality and fit within the wider GPJ team are important credentials.
• Substantial level of previous experience as a Production Manager within the events industry or as a Project Manager for a Stand build supplier operating on the International stage.
• Experience of the production of premium brand automotive activations would also be a benefit.
• Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of all technical disciplines, including sound, lighting, video, set construction and rigging.
• IT literate – strong IT skills; AutoCad is preferable, together with MS Office (Excel skills must be particularly strong) and ideally, experience in utilising a time/cost accounting package.
• Able to establish strong relationships across the business, with clients and external suppliers, both face-to-face, verbally and in writing.
• Project management – must be thoroughly adept at deploying appropriate resources and running multiple timelines in order to meet both internal and external deadlines.
• Budget management – demonstrated experience in putting together, managing and reconciling project budgets of up to £2,000,000, production equipment budgets of over £500,000 and stand build budgets over £1,000,000.