George P. Johnson is an independent, creatively driven full-service experience marketing agency. For over a century we’ve been partnering with the world’s top brands to deliver creative solutions that make a real difference. Our ideas create impact, inspire audiences and grow business.
Today, we still answer to no one but ourselves. Our business is our business. And that means we focus on what we do best - and how best to do it. It’s an independence that gives us the freedom to be totally transparent. A liberation that keeps us flexible, practical and positively realistic.
Our clear strategic thinking and perceptive creative, breathes life into brands. It’s what turns our goals – and those of our clients, into results. We’re happy working wherever the brief takes us. At home or abroad. On the huge or the hugely important. Our scalability enables us to answer briefs of all shapes and sizes - effectively and efficiently.
And the next 100 years? We’ve a lot planned. And big ambitions to address. Starting today. We’re a hungry agency - more committed and driven than ever. We’ll continue to evolve. To grow. And to search for new disciplines and channels that match the aspirations and vision of our clients. Those we already work with, and those we’ve yet to meet.
One thing’s certain. We won’t stand still. We never have. If we had, we wouldn’t have come this far.
Summary/Primary job purpose:
- As a Producer your primary function is to be the production lead and client production interface for a wide variety of different live events.
- You will receive, challenge and understand a new business brief and be responsible for developing and driving the response to it, to include concept development, presentation writing and delivery of the proposal at the stand up presentation, in collaboration with the Creative Director and Account Director.
- You will be responsible for driving and developing the creative idea, to ensure it answers the client brief and sets a new benchmark for production excellence.
- To give leadership and guidance to clients to ensure their message is communicated effectively to their audience and that their business objectives are being met.
- You will be a direct point of contact point for the client and internal Account Directors regarding project specific production related issues.
- You will oversee and push to maximise the profitability of each production to ensure we maximise our margin and continue to grow the business.
- You will build and manage the production team required to deliver each production, managing the budget and ensuring all client deadlines are met.
- You will be responsible for developing business opportunities with existing and new clients and developing our relationship with the client’s senior management.
- You will be required to manage your own time and complete timesheets on a weekly basis.
How the role integrates with GPJ’s objectives:
- Supports the main business objectives of GPJ by ensuring we deliver the very highest quality event production solutions and that our clients’ goals are met and exceeded.
- Increasing the visibility of GPJ within the events industry as a world leading production agency, recognised for being the best at what we do.
- Ensures that GPJ offer our clients great thought leadership in how to communicate their messages effectively to their audience, using all the very latest production tools to ensure our events are truly cutting edge.
- This role requires frequent travel, principally within Europe, but often extending to the USA, and infrequently to Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Travel may be required at very short notice.
The ideal candidate will be passionate, enthusiastic, driven and entrepreneurial about delivering extremely high -quality productions that set a new industry standard. It is vital that our Producer is an expert in their field with solid experience of delivering large international shows.
We are looking for someone who is confident and knowledgeable, able to understand what a job requires and pull together the sometimes-conflicting wishes of creative, technical and client services to deliver the best solution for the client. The Producer must be an individual who will always push and support fellow team members and suppliers hard to deliver their very best, ensuring faultless end results.
Shows are likely to include large keynote presentations to audiences of many thousands, parties for similar sized audiences, smaller bespoke “boutique” conferences, management of multiple session rooms, large scale public events, multiple stand exhibitions and individual tailor made stands, launches, experiential marketing campaigns, public events, B2B & B2C. A broad experience and passion for producing events in all these different environments are key elements for this role.
An understanding and genuine interest in the latest developments in video, sound, lighting, staging and technology will help as we strive to push the boundaries of what is possible in a live event. More importantly the Producer must be able to get beneath the client’s skin, to understand their brand and business objectives, to be able talk their language and to provide valuable contributions to discussions about content development and key message delivery. The opinion of the Producer is one the client must value highly and seek at every opportunity if we are to provide that top-level consultancy that our clients are demanding.
It goes without saying that strong client handling skills are a must for any producer. They must be comfortable working with the very biggest global business leaders, political world leaders, world famous entertainers and groundbreaking intellectuals from the world of science and education.
It is important that our Producer instills confidence with clients and those they are working with, is able to talk to them knowledgably and confidently about production issues and can portray the professional and dynamic image for which GPJ are renowned.
New business development is a key feature of what we look for in a Producer, working with our New Business department to help drive our response to RFP’s and win new business. This is an area where the producer is expected to take the lead, to be proactive and able to manage their workload to accommodate late requests for assistance. It needs a self-motivator with a “can do” attitude who is never backward in coming forward with new ideas and ways to help move our business forward.
Naturally, we would expect all applicants to be able to demonstrate the ability to manage and reconcile large and complex budgets, a level of commercial acumen to ensure our margins are met and grown, team management, project management and a high level of creative sensitivity to complement and support the work of the Creative Directors.
We require a strong sense of loyalty, integrity and discretion at GPJ, and all employees need to have the ability to work well under pressure, remaining meticulous and maintaining attention to detail with strong completion skills.
Above all, we want someone who enjoys being a Producer, an enthusiast who works well in a team environment and can lead a project from start to finish, with the personality that can fit within the wider GPJ team.