Position Title: Office Manager
Location: Southwark, SE1
Reports to: VP, Operations
Date: October 2018
Primary job purpose:
Reporting to the VP, Operations, the Office Manager will be solely responsible for the smooth and efficient running of GPJ’s London office. The Office Manager is responsible for all aspects of office and facilities management and committed to providing the highest level of professional service to both the GPJ team and our external clients.
GPJ is a fast-paced, agency environment based in a newly built office and the Office Manager will be supporting more than 115 employees, plus freelancers across the business. In this role the Office Manager will face constantly changing, and sometimes competing, priorities we therefore need someone who can operate in a flexible, calm, friendly and approachable manner and, above all, wants to ‘own’ office management.
Main Responsibilities – the role is a 360o Office Management role and includes, but is not limited to –
• Reception - ensuring the smooth running of Front of House working with the Receptionist (who is a direct line support); ensure reception and phone lines are covered from 9am to 5.30pm, Monday-Friday.
• Office Environment – ensuring the office space is optimally set-up for agile working; ensuring all desks are properly set up with standard equipment; throughout the day ensuring desks throughout the office are kept clear when not in use. Provide support, in a facilities capacity, for in-house events – client meetings/events, AllCos, showcases, training events (some of which may be out of standard office hours).
• Building Management – liaising with building management company in respect of
o office security;
o issuing security cards
o cleaning of communal areas
o fire safety
• Office Suppliers – managing contracts and performance/service levels of various suppliers - utilities, cleaning company, plants, florist, fruit delivery etc.
• Office Maintenance – proactively ‘walking the building’ to pre-empt or identify any building maintenance/cleaning issues. Arranging for appropriate maintenance team to carry out maintenance as and when necessary and keeping log of the same on the Building Logs drive.
• Office Equipment –purchasing and auditing office furniture, laptop risers, mouse mats, etc; maintain photocopiers/printers/fax machine contracts; ensuring stock levels of printer consumables; managing stock of laptop safes/locks and telephone headsets.
• Health & Safety - responsible for the management & implementation of various risk assessments for the office - premises & activities, first aid requirements, new & expectant mothers, DSE, manager’s risk assessment, as well as keeping policies up to date – Health & Safety Policy, Emergency Evacuation Procedure.
• Company Insurances – liaise with US for global management of insurances and broker regarding renewals. Dealing with insurance claims.
• Company comms system/hardware – responsible for phone lines, administering conferences system, handling and managing mobile phones for staff.
• New Starter Inductions/Leavers – meeting with all new starters and conducting an Office Management induction, which involves a tour of the building/GPJ’s office, running through office procedures, health & safety and fire safety, updating photos into template for mesh wall, issuing door access control card, locker & key, mobile phones and ordering business cards. For leavers, ensuring door fobs, locker keys, mobile phones are returned,
• Security – issuing/retrieving of building access cards and maintaining a record; working with the building management company to ensure the security of the building is maintained; act as main key holder for GPJ’s office space.
• Fire Safety – all aspects of periodical checks for fire alarm system, fire equipment, emergency lighting, fixed wiring and PAT testing. Liaising with building management company in respect of weekly bell testing, bi-annual evacuation drills and marshal training.
• Building Compliance – working with building management company and own suppliers in respect of various elements of building compliance, for example heating/air conditioning maintenance. Ensuing periodical planned maintenance is carried out and all records kept updated.
• Environmental Policy – review and continuation of existing company environmental and sustainability policies and procedures as well as looking into new measures and improvements.
• Cleaning/Waste/Recycling – work with building management company to ensure service levels are maintained and any issues addressed in a proactive and prompt manner.
• Storage –responsible for on/off site storage and archive storage, working with GPJ’s designated storage company. Ensure teams are adhering to off-site storage guidelines.
• Finance – reviewing, approving and logging all invoices related to office management. Raising purchase orders.
• CEO & Senior Leadership Team Support– providing support in booking flights, transfers and hotels for CEO, the Managing Director and occasionally the Senior Leadership Team. Assisting with any ad hoc work that arises.
The events industry and therefore our business are fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with clients and industry partners.
• Working hours are 9am – 5.30pm with an hour for lunch, Monday – Friday
• There may be at time a requirement to work longer than the above hours stated.
• Significant level of experience as an Office Manager responsible for the whole office management remit, ideally within a client-focused, fast-paced SME
• Demonstrated experience in handling H&S issues and complete knowledge of H&S legislation in respect of running an office evidenced by IOSH training
• Demonstrated experience in managing the reception function for a professional, client focused organisation; line management experience
• Significant level of supplier management experience – proven ability to source, negotiate and contract with suppliers
• Proven organisational skills – ability to multi-task, deal with last minute changes and be proactive about taking on additional responsibilities whilst maintaining confidentiality, tact and discretion
• Solid understanding of financial/commercial management – setting budgets, able to accurately track costs and make cost effective changes/purchasing decisions
• Strong team player – always ready to help beyond the remit of the role; flexible in dealing with situations that come their way; actively participate in and tackle challenges; always striving for excellence
• Ability to seek out and formulate new ideas/solutions and present them effectively
• Computer literate – highly proficient in MS Office, with strong Excel skills in particular.